Ecuador Intelligence Boss and Telemundo Executive Among Samburu Crash Victims

Date:

The identities of the seven people who died in the helicopter crash in Samburu County on August 19 have brought new details about the victims, with an Ecuadorian intelligence chief and five American nationals among those who lost their lives.

The Ecuadorian official has been identified as Michele Sensi Contugi, a 44-year-old dual Italian-Ecuadorian national who headed Ecuador’s National Intelligence Centre in Quito.

Before joining the intelligence service, Sensi Contugi was reportedly a prominent businessman in Ecuador and came from a well-known Tuscan family.

According to reports from Ecuador, Sensi Contugi had been visiting Kenya for a holiday with his wife when the helicopter crashed in Samburu. Following news of the incident, Italian diplomats moved quickly to offer assistance, with the Italian Embassy in Kenya engaging with authorities and those affected by the tragedy.

One of the American victims was José Alberto Suárez, a 55-year-old long-serving NBC Universal and Telemundo executive. Suárez had held senior positions at several local television stations in Florida during his career.

The United States State Department confirmed Suárez’s death as one of five Americans killed in the crash. A department spokesperson said the U.S. Embassy in Kenya was working with local authorities and providing consular assistance to the affected families.

The department also expressed condolences to the relatives and loved ones of those who died as investigations into the crash continue.

The Kenya Civil Aviation Authority said the helicopter was carrying seven people when it went down at about 9:13am in the foothills of Mount Ololokwe in Samburu County. The aircraft was operating a charter flight from Suyian Conservancy to Mount Ololokwe when the accident occurred.

There were no survivors reported from the crash. Authorities have not yet established what caused the helicopter to go down, with investigations expected to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.

The victims were later identified as pilot Josh Outram and passengers Roger Duarte, Adam Navaty, Stephen Vasconquez, Henry Parra, Michael Contugi and Suian Suarez, who was the only woman among those on board.

The charter company said the cause of the accident had not yet been established and confirmed that it would cooperate fully with the relevant authorities as investigations continue.

The company said the process was important in helping provide answers to the families of those who died.

Authorities and diplomatic representatives are now coordinating efforts as investigations continue into the crash that claimed all seven lives.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

Gachagua raises security concerns ahead of Emurua Dikirr visit

Former Deputy President and DCP Party Leader Rigathi Gachagua...

Agnes Wairimu Gachanja apprehended by DCI over deceased man’s Juja property

Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations have arrested...

Nine charged over alleged misuse of KSh1.5 billion PROFIT programme funds

Nine officials and business owners have been charged in...

Thick smoke seen after Helicopter crashes near Mt. Ololokwe

A helicopter crashed near the foot of Mt. Ololokwe...

You cannot copy content of this page