How a Stolen iPhone Led Uganda Police to a Suspected Cross-Border Phone Dealer

Date:

The arrest of a suspected Congolese stolen-phone dealer in Uganda has renewed concerns over the growing cross-border trade in stolen mobile phones across East Africa, with police investigations pointing to a regional network moving devices from Uganda into the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) for resale.

Police said stolen mobile phones are being transported from Uganda to the DRC for resale following the arrest of a 34-year-old Congolese national in Nansana, Wakiso District.

A statement by Kampala Metropolitan Police Deputy Public Relations Officer Assistant Superintendent of Police Luke Owoyesigyire said the suspect, identified as Justine Kulimushi, was allegedly part of a network that sourced stolen phones from Kampala Metropolitan, had them factory-reset or flashed, and transported them to the DRC.

“Kulimushi was arrested on August 20 after intelligence indicated he had returned to Uganda to buy more stolen phones at Kalungi Plaza. Police recovered 27 second-hand mobile phones of different makes and models and are continuing investigations to establish their sources, identify the rightful owners and trace other people linked to the alleged network,” the statement added.

Police said his arrest followed investigations into the theft of an iPhone valued at approximately UGX 3 million (about Sh104,450), which was reported at Nansana Police Station on April 21, 2026.

“Tracing of the stolen phone revealed that it had been taken to Kalungi Plaza and later transported to Beni in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Further intelligence indicated that the suspect frequently travelled to Uganda to purchase stolen phones for transportation to Congo.”

On Thursday, police received information that the suspect had returned to Uganda and was buying stolen phones from Kalungi Plaza.

This prompted a joint operation by officers from Nansana Police Station and intelligence officers, leading to his arrest.

“The suspect was identified as Justine Kulimushi, a 34-year-old Congolese national. Police recovered 27 second-hand mobile phones of different makes and models, which had reportedly been factory-reset or flashed. The phones are suspected to have been stolen from different parts of Kampala Metropolitan and collected for resale to the suspect and other dealers,” the statement said.

Kulimushi remains in custody as investigations continue to establish the source of the phones, identify their rightful owners and trace other people involved in the alleged network.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Popular

More like this
Related

CAK exposes EABL secret empire of exclusive fridges and rigged pricing

The proposed Sh388 billion sale of East African Breweries...

Bus and Passenger Train Collide at Githurai Railway Crossing

A Githurai 45 SACCO bus was involved in a...

Kenyan businesswoman among three foreigners arrested in Zanzibar over tourism operations

A Kenyan businesswoman, Esther Mutheu Samuka, is among three...

High Court hands Brian Reeves another legal setback in Sh100 million battle

Businessman Brian Reeves has suffered another legal setback after...

You cannot copy content of this page